Saturday, October 27, 2012

Fight Depression with Exercise



If you ever experienced depression, you know how frustrating it can be.  It may make you tired you just don't want to get out of bed or you have major anxiety that it is hard to relax. Whatever symptoms you have, it can be challenging getting yourself out of that dark hole. Of course going to the Doctor would be a great idea but so is exercise.

Exercise is the one tool that holds me together.  I am not a depressed person but I haven't felt myself this week.  If you been reading my blogs or following me on Facebook. You probably know that I have been trying to rest and recover all week.  You may also know that exercise is a HUGE part of my life. 

When exercise is removed from my life I don't know what to do with myself.  This week I slept more, cried a lot and honestly felt very alone.  I realized last night that I was in fact having little signs of depression.  I normally love being around people...but I refused all week to be near people that care about me.  I blew off two dates, a kickball game and a Halloween party....That is not normal for someone like me. 

The thing about depression is that you can either do nothing about it or take complete control of it.  I plan on taking control of this mood that I have been in all week.  I am ready to sweat, to move and to remove this ugly thing that has been sitting in my head all week.  Exercise is what brightens my day, it makes me feel like I have a purpose in life.  This is why exercise is so easy for me...I just need it just like some people need their morning cup of joy. 

10 Ways That Exercise Can Help Fight Depression is from the Veggie Fitness Blog.

10 Ways That Exercise Can Help Fight Depression.
1- Exercising releases ‘Feel Good Chemicals’, neurotransmitters and endorphins may help to ease the depression a person feels. Ever hear of a ‘Runners High’?
2- Exercising increases your body temperature which may have calming effects to those who feel anxious or depressed.
3- Exercising boots your immune system which helps ward off any other chemicals that may worsen ones depression.
4- Exercising is proven to reduce stress which is one of depressions co-pilot.
5- Exercising makes you look better which boots your self-esteem and mood. Hard to be depressed when you look and feel so good ;)
6- Exercise helps you gain confidence. Meeting your exercise ‘goals’ will help you feel a sense of accomplishment.
7- Exercise is a positive distraction from the worries and negative thoughts that feed ones depression.
8- It has been proven that exercise does indeed help mild to moderate cases of depression, it is effective and underused according to many doctors.
9- Exercise is fun, having fun will make you happier. So running is not for you. How about taking a dance class or joining a walking group. Make new friends and feel better about yourself.
10- Exercise helps you cope in a healthy way. Instead of heading to the bar for a drink go to the gym or take a walk. By feeding depression with things like food and alcohol you are only making it worse.

I need that 'Feel Good Chemicals' every single day.  Runners High is no joke and I am glad that it will be back in my life starting today.  One week off of that high wasn't much fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment