Thursday, September 26, 2013

Air Force Marathon Rating


Air Force Marathon 
September 21, 2013

Expo-1/5
I love race expo's but Air Force Expo to me was a joke. You had to walk around a very small hallway to check out the booths.  It was hot, no room to move and a lot of booths were empty.  I did however, get all race gear 40% off since I got there a little late..that seriously was the best part.

Race Swag-5/5
I actually love the shirt! It is long sleeve and a women's cut! Black with a big green strip on the side! Not only did we get a shirt it also came with a matching hat! I was happy to see the hat because I LOVE running in hats when it is raining and sunny out!

Starting Line 1/5
There was no real organization at the starting line.  No assigned corrals and no gates to keep the non-runners out.  I just stayed back until they fired the gun since it was such a mess.  They did have pacer signs but that is about it.  Also, there was no music or anything that got the runners exciting.  I wasn't pleased with the starting line but my last race was Disney :)

Course 1/5
Boring.. Boring.. Boring.  There were a lot of buildings to look at but that is about it.  No music, no people and nothing out of the norm.  Just felt like I was on a training run with a lot of people.  This race was a lot hilly in some areas.  Felt like the last 6 miles were hills and the first 2 was one large hill.  Not fun when you are dealing with a Achilles injury. 

Water stops 5/5
I was very pleased with the water stations! This was the only time I felt like I was actually in a race.  They had a station around every single mile! Water, Gatorade and Cliff Gu's were handed out.  The people at the stations were wonderful :) I loved hearing cheers from them!!!

Finish Line 5/5
I would say this was my favorite part of the race! It wasn't a huge finish line but you did get to run under old Air Force planes.  After you crossed the finish line you get a medal from Air Force Men/Women in uniform. I couldn't help but cry when they put my medal around my neck! They said congrats and I shook their hands to say Thank You for serving our country! Best Part :)

Medal 5/5 

I like the medal a lot! I think it screams I love America :) Love the lanyard with the Flag's colors! Both sides of the medal was beautiful crafted and it is used with quality material! Very Heavy!!

Results 1/5
I did TERRIBLE but I finished.  I completely feel apart at mile 20 because of my mental self and my foot.  I had enough energy in me but the hills just slowed me down big time.  Slowest marathon to date.
Time: 5:26:10

Overall 2/5
I was super happy to run this race with my cousin but wasn't pleased with anything else really.  I understand that this is a Boston Qualifier and that in recent years they had planes flying over you.  This year they couldn't do that because of military cuts :( I did love being on the base and thanking everyone for their services but that is really about it. 

I probably would never do this race again because of how boring it was to me.  The people that were running were all friendly! This race might be a perfect race for someone that likes smaller crowds.  I am into the big party, the bands and the people! I was disappointed but I am glad I am not a 4 time marathoner!!!

What is up Next 
My next race really depends on my recovery.  I had surgery yesterday which has me on the bench for a few weeks.  I am scheduled to run the Columbus Half Marathon on Oct 20th.  I love this race so I don't want to miss it! I might have to just walk it this year.  :( Then training for a few Disney races!!!! 

~Kathy 
Happy Miles 


No comments:

Post a Comment