Monday, October 29, 2012

My best running partner...my dog


Everyone likes to have a running partner regardless if they have two legs or four. Running is what brought Louie and I together.  I knew I had to have a dog that could run with me but I never expected to find a dog that loves running more than I do.  Louie loves running, walking, swimming or anything that involves being with me.  He is always eager to head out the door to find a new adventure. It doesn't matter to him if it is snowing, raining or super hot; his love for the outdoors is contagious.  Louie is one of the best running partners I have ever had! Even when he decides to run off the path to play in giant mud pits or to take a dip into ponds.

Here is a picture of Louie after a 4 miler.
He decided that he wanted to train for a Tough Mudder too.

Louie not only is the best running partner but he is also is a wonderful part time coach.  I can't tell you how many days I have came home in a terrible mood or felt to tired to run.  Louie doesn't care how tired I am or what kind of mood I am in. All he wants for me to do is lace up my shoes and grab his leash. He may not be able to talk to me but Sir Louie always has a way to show me that he needs a run or that I should be out training.  As you can tell from the pictures below he will grab my running shoes and glare at me till I say "Okay let's go." 

I am not going to lie and say training Louie to run with me was easy.  There are still days he will run in front of me or will want to attack the dog running on the other side of the path.  We struggled at first and normally do struggle the first mile or so.  However, once we are in our groove together it makes for a very peaceful run. 

I even at times allow Louie off leash..this I believe to him is like being in Heaven.  This gives him freedom to run as fast as he wants, pick up sticks and chase a million squirrels.  Even with the freedom Louie never takes off! He always stops a few yards in front of me and will wait till I reach him.  I believe this is Louie making sure nothing happened to me; I think it is really cute!

We keep each moving! We have formed a wonderful relationship that only a dog and a runner can achieve.  I can't even tell you how many miles we have logged in together.  What I can tell you is that Louie is the best thing that has happened to me both on and off the running trails.  



Need motivation?  Get a dog! I can promise you that they will never let you down.  They will always want to go for a walk, run or a car ride.  Dogs are the perfect motivators to keep us humans moving! Things you should remember if you are running with Fido. 

1. Get medical clearance from the vet. 
2. Know which breeds are best for running. 
3. Consider the age of the dog. 
4. Make sure Fido is on leash. 
5. Consider running surfaces (blacktop and stones can hurt their little feet if you are not careful.)
6. Be aware of overheating signs. 
7. Ease your dog into running.
8. Know your dog's temperament. 
9. Make sure dog is up-to-date on shots. 
10. CLEAN up after your pet.  (This is very important! No one likes stepping on dog crap.)

 

 
 

1 comment: