Sunday, December 2, 2012

Looking back on 2012

In just a few weeks there will be a new year.  With the new year brings a lot of new hope, dreams and goals.  I can't go forward without looking backwards, so this blog will be all about everything I accomplished in 2012.
2012 has been a HUGE year of achievements, adventure and growth for me.  I will take every lesson I have learned with me into 2013 because those lessons have made me a person that is stronger, wiser and healthier.  There were times that I felt that the world was against me but I didn't let those moments bring me down.  I stood tall and moved forward just like I will move forward into this new year.
What this year has taught me is that we all have a choice...and that choice is to get busy living or get busy doing nothing.  My choice of course was to get busy living! Here are some wonderful pictures of things I accomplished over the year.

January 

Jan 12th Tough Mudder Phoenix
Jan 13th Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon

I wanted to start 2012 with one of the toughest challenges of my life! I wanted to complete not only my first Tough Mudder but I wanted to follow it up with running a half marathon the next day. I finished both races with complete success! I got my first head orange head band and got to run in my very first Rock 'n' Roll race....LOVED every single minute of it. But the challenge didn't just stop after I crossed the finish line of the 1/2 marathon....I decided that jumping on a plane within 2 hours after finishing the race was a smart idea.  It was worth the rush because I was able to see beautiful California and my long time buddy Mike.


I got to see many great friends on this trip! Jane, Chris, Corinne and Mike made the first month of 2012 a big hit!

February

February I wanted to take a step back and relax.  I wanted to focus on my diet, waistline and of course myself.  I gave myself the best birthday gift ever...Lasik eye surgery!


March

St. Petersburg Half Marathon


One of my big goals this year was to run in a sports bra! I finally was able to do it at a race in St. Petersburg, Florida.  My second goal was to beat my Dad in a race! This too was the race where I was able to do just that! I beat Dad by 15 minutes and set a new PR 2:05 minutes for 13.1! Sorry Dad better luck next time! :)
April

Ohio Tough Mudder

April was all about my second and third Tough Mudder.  I decided that I wanted to complete two mudders in one weekend.  Ohio's Tough Mudder was so much fun! I met a lot of awesome friends at this race.  The race of course was super hard because it was so cold and I got shocked 8 times on one obstacle but I was able to get my second and third headband!


May 

Commit to be Fit 1/2 Marathon
Pittsburgh 1/2 Marathon

I decided again to do another back to back race.  I loved challenging myself to big weekends like that.  It really made training hard but it gave me much more...it made me realize if you put your heart and soul into something that anything is possible.  Weekends like this has allowed me to feel strong, blessed and simply amazing.  This weekend I was able to run a half marathon with one of my best friends Lindsay Groom.  After the race I jumped into a car with my two beautiful cousins to head to Pittsburgh to walk my very first half marathon.  I am so blessed by all the active people that are in my life! Even more blessed to be able to be right beside all three girls when they got their very first 13.1 medals! Accomplish is the best way to describe this weekend!


My friend Lish's wedding! All these silly girls are my High School friends.  Of course the bride didn't make the picture! I love these girls.



June

Phat Camp with Jen Hendershock

Indiana Tough Mudder

I was able to run with some really awesome people at this race.  Roxanne, Corinne, Justin, Jay and Erin were all teammates in this adventure.  The picture below is of the flag that my friend Jay carries during all his Tough Mudders.  I was honored to run next to this real soldier...a TRUE Hero.
This race for me was super hard...I had to over come my fear of getting shocked.  Ohio's TM ruined me.  I cried a little and even told myself to walk around obstacles...HOWEVER, I did the obstacles because I am tired of fear holding my life back.  This race made me realize that life has a lot of obstacles but you have to believe in yourself to overcome them.  I will allow nothing to hold me back in my life now!

July 

Kenny Chesney with my family and friends in Cincy.  I was able to stand on the Bengals field while listening to some AWESOME country music. 

Color Run with my friends from Wapak and friends from Cbus.  This race was a lot of fun because I was able to inspire others to try a 5k! I was so proud of all my friends for their hard work and dedication to train for this event.  I know it isn't easy but they all did it...maybe not loving it but they finished! This is one reason why I love running because anyone can do it :)

VEGAS-I was able to go to Vegas for the first time in my life.  It was such a fun trip...the Crabtree's were wonderful host.  I got to hike Red Rocks, run to the famous sign, gamble and ride a bull!  Five days in Vegas didn't kill me! The party police had a lot of fun.... best part of Vegas is dressing up every single night and the awesome swimming pools!

August

Woot! This might be my favorite month of the year!!! Finally....I got my second Masters degree in Health Education.  It took me two years to get this awesome piece of paper!!!!!! I was so excited to not have to do homework any more! :)



September

Angela was able to come watch me in action at one of my field trips.  This canoeing field trip was perfect! The weather was amazing and the kids all did so wonderful.

Went to Buckeyes Game with Lindsay.  Buckeyes won... O H I O

October

Zac Brown Band Concert

So much fun hanging out with my brother, soon to be sister-in-law Mandie and my buddy Heidi.

Second Columbus Full Marathon

Best day of the year!  I finished without walking with a time of 4:45.  I ran 8 of the 26.2 miles alone...boy it was hard but I did it! I was able to run with my Dad, my cousin Diana and two of my friends.  I love having people in my life that love fitness just as much as I do! Everyone finished and we were all able to walk the next day! 


November

Nashville

Another awesome trip! This trip was full of laughs and sweet! Corinne Crabtree made sure of that! I loved visiting with my Nashville friends and loved meeting the ladies from Healthy Holy Ladies. I can't wait to go back to run the 1/2 Marathon in April!

Can't forget to add Louie into the mix.  He is still a great active healthy dog.  I want to kill him some days but I love this dog more than anything.  He is a real clown....always able to make me smile when I feel like all I want to do is cry.

December

December is all about training for Goofy.  A lot of back to back long runs and a lot of running alone.  Can't wait till Disney
I wish for everyone who reads this message to take with them into the new year the lessons they have learned and to let them make you a better person than what you were. It is a new day, a new year. Everyone gets a fresh start to begin again.


Watch out 2013

3 comments:

  1. OH KATHY!!! I just CRIED reading thru this... I am SO HAPPY and PROUD of all your accomplishments... and I dream of doing just 1/2 of this in 2013!!! Jilly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Jilly!!! I never believed I could do what I did this past year...wait till you see what this crazy girl has lined up for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome year! Here's to an even awesomer 2013! :)

    ReplyDelete