Saturday, August 10, 2013

Random Thought #1: Marathon Weight Gain :(

Random Thought #1:

The Marathon weight Gain.

Being a Marathon runner is one of my best accomplishments in my life! I love so many things about the Marathon and all the crazy training that comes with it.  There is one thing that I absolutely HATE about training for 26.2....I hate putting on the weight.

That is right, I put on what I call the marathon weight gain.  UGH! My first marathon I put on 10 pounds, marathon two I put on 5 and currently I have put on 6 pounds....How in the world does one put on weight when they are running a million miles a week?

I could answer this a million different ways but I will answer it Kathy's way.... I eat far to much food :) I swear I am always hungry.  I could eat 24 hours a day if I allowed myself to do so.  My food choices are not always the best. :( So far this week I have had Dairy Queen, Red Robin, Ihop pancakes, candy and Mexican food.  Normally, I am super tight with my food but I say to myself "Kathy you deserve it you ran like 20 miles this week so far." Which also equals weight gain :( GRRRR

Another reason I might be putting on weight is that I am not lifting a lot both in pounds and in days.  My body can't handle lifting five days a week and my legs certainly don't need a heavy leg workout.  So my muscles are turning soft which makes me look spongy...BLAH! Come on I am in the best shape of my life...just doesn't seem right that I am putting on weight too...SERIOUSLY.

Another explanation is that my body is learning to store carbohydrates as fuel (glycogen) for my long runs. Those glycogen stores are important to completing my long runs and marathon without hitting the famous wall. Better known as my body is now considered a fat storing machine! My body needs this fat to help me get to the finish line... GRRR AGAIN SUCKS!

Random Thought #1 is the marathon weight gain is just not right! I love the long run but I hate what it does to my body! I know many Marathon runners are in the same boat as me but we continue to log the miles because it makes our hearts smile! My goal is to stay under the 152 mark :) Which means NO MORE COOKIES :) Well unless I run 20 miles in one day then I deserve a cookie!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment