Thursday, September 19, 2013

2 days before my 4th Marathon

After all the wonderful races I have completed I still find myself in the "happy to finish category." It doesn't matter to me if I get first place, beat my friend or get dead last.  I am not there to win prices.  For me there is no finish line because the race that I race is one that goes on forever.  It is my lifestyle not a race to the finish line.  If I finish with a smile on my face, no bloody toes and have the desire to do it again I feel like I won in my book.

That is what makes this sport so great!   Every single racer has different goals, different demons to beat up and different finish lines.  We all understand each other because we're all in the same club.  When you line up at a starting line you notice that these racers are all one; a family sort of speak.  No racer is alike. We all look different. Some are old, while others are young.  There are men, women, different races and different shapes and sizes.  We are all different yet we are all the same.

Every time I go into a marathon I think about the training.  No training is the same, some runs are easy while other feel like they could kill me.  The Air Force training has been the hardest training for me so far.  I did it alone, with an injury and I ran with a lot of demons on my shoulders.  I find myself doubting myself two days before the race, as well as having anxiety about not knowing the outcome. 

I know Saturday will not be easy for many different reasons.  I am still dealing with a nagging Achilles injury, have a lot of negative things going on in my life and not to mention I know this will be my last long run for 6 weeks due to a surgery.  So when I cross that finish line on Saturday I will be in the "Happy to finish category."  I am very excited to line up with my family on race day.  As I look around I am going to remember why I do this and why I will continue to do this! 

Send positive thoughts my way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment