Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Columbus Marathon

Everyone knows that it was a real struggle for me to sit out of the Columbus Marathon.  I actually thought about doing it when I was at the expo..I figured I just wouldn't tell anyone about my decision until after I crossed the finish line.  Luckily, my facebook friend picked up my bib taking away my ability to run even if I wanted to.

I am sure this is how an alcoholic feels when someone ask them to go to the bar.  To take a runner to their favorite event but tell them they couldn't compete was like putting a drink in front of the alcoholic.  I felt like it was going to be bitter the whole race but when the gun went off I felt pure joy.  This joy was very similar to the joy I feel when I am actually running the event.  It was weird being on the other side of the fence but it felt great to finally give back to the thing I love most... the Marathon.

Running is a one person sport to some people but to me running is a team event.  It takes a coach, a teammate and mostly it takes fans to support you.  I have been the coach, the teammate and now the crazy fan to support family members and thousands strangers.  It gives me new meaning to the word marathon...COMMUNITY!

I will always love running the marathon but now I know I can love the other side of the fence as well.  It's a true blessing to sit and encourage people to keep running strong, to keep pushing and to dig deep within.  I could see the stories on all the runners faces.. running in honor of a friend lost, running to lose weight, running to do the impossible, running to stay young, running just because...I wish I could hear all the stories on why they decided to lace up their shoes because those stories are what the marathon is all about. 

The Marathon is special.. A gift you give yourself.  I am just happy that I continue to give myself the gift of the Marathon :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment