Monday, October 15, 2012

6 Days left.... Visualization


Marathon day is 6 days away! I am so excited, nervous and of course sick :( I will NOT allow anything to take away my moment on Sunday.  A little zicam, vitamin C, soup and of course some flatbread sea salt crackers will nip this sickness in the butt.  Maybe the crackers will not cure me but they certainly make me feel better :) After all I am carb loading right!

What is on my mind this week so far..... 



Visualizing the finish line! 
This has been a huge part of my training.

Before bed every night I allow my mind to relax and play what I want or think will happen on Sunday. My mind can actually see my feet crossing the finish line. I can see what I am wearing, think about how it will feel (in theory) and visualize my family and friends congratulating me at the end with a medal around my neck. I can see myself crying and hugging my running partners. I can feel the joy and excitement!

Over the course of a 26-mile race the mind has lots of time to think, and in my first marathon there was a point somewhere around mile 20 where my heart began to ask my body a lot of questions.
  • What in the world are you doing?
  • You have lost it Kathy.
  • Don’t ever do this again.
It’s a good thing really. The questions a first-time marathoner has around mile 20 are a good mental distraction at the point where the body experiences total depletion and continues on with heart when the body has nothing left.

So you just keep running.

This is when the recording of my finish line will be so important.  I should be able to just close my eyes and see everything I visualized this week.  This will help me get to mile 25..or so I hope!

Miles 20 to 25 are the hardest miles for me...it is all about heart! The legs feel like rocks but the heart keeps beating and screaming DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP!  I believe my first marathon I cried at mile 23 ... I didn't think I had anything in me to finish but I got over the wall and did what I do best...IGNORE the pain!

At mile 25 the pain normally fades away for a little while and the cheers from the crowd will give me the energy I need to finish......

Visualization is KEY this week!










No comments:

Post a Comment