Saturday, October 13, 2012

My first long distance race...

I remember the day I decided to run my first long distance run.  I was mad at myself for losing control of my weight once again.  I had lost up to 40 some pounds before I moved to Columbus but when I moved here in 2006 I let myself go.  I was drinking to much, eating crappy food and not working out enough.  I had probably put on at least 10-15 pounds.  I needed something to motivate me, something to hold me accountable.

I heard someone talking about Marathon's at work and I thought to myself.... I could do that! That night I got home and started searching the internet for ways to train for a long distance race. I decided that Team in Training would be the perfect place to seek professional advice, as well as get the motivation I needed to run something as big as 26.2 miles. I didn't think twice about joining! I was going to run the 2007 Columbus Marathon and I would raise 3,000 dollars for a good cause.

 (I was so out of shape and heavy around the waist.)

I talked Big Joe (my dad) into joining me in this journey.  He loved the idea of running a marathon with me because it was something he had never accomplished...this would be his first race too.  Training was hard.  I was a rookie, making a lot of bad decisions. There were runs I would lay on the bathroom floor so sick because I didn't hydrate enough.  After a hard 16 miler I was so sick, I almost called the squad to come pick me up.  I couldn't stand up or do anything for that matter.  I remember my roommate helping me in the shower... I just sat there with cold water running over me thinking "I am going to die." Gatorade and sleep helped with this horrible rookie move.

During the training I started getting sharp pains on the bottom of my foot.  I ignored the pains and continued to run....Rookie move again.  I had to stop training for a solid month because of a case of Plantar Fascistic. I was in the heart of my training when I had to take the month off.  Due to that I decided to only run the half marathon instead.

I completed my first Half Marathon in 2 Hours and 21 minutes. My Dad finished his first Marathon in 6 Hours and 13 minutes.  Big Joe hit a wall around mile 18 but finished with a small smile on his face. Since then I have ran 16 Marathons, 1 full marathon, 4 Tough Mudders, 4 sprint triathlons and 1 olympic Triathlon.  My Dad also has a long list of accomplishments too!

In one week we will be back at the Starting Line of the Columbus Marathon.  We are now experience runners! We both trained hard! We have the proper shoes, clothes, fuel and understand why it is important to lube up.  We will finish this race strong and will have another awesome memory to add to our list of stories together.

I can't wait!!!
(I ran 2 miles the from the finish line to find Dad struggling.  I ran beside him till he crossed the finish line. This is a picture my Mom took of us.)
 (6 years later from the picture up above.  I look stronger, happier and certainly healthier)

No comments:

Post a Comment