Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I run because I can and because they can't :(

Source: google.ca via Kathy on Pinterest


Things I hear all the time from people...
1. You ran what? 20 miles CRAP I don't even like driving my car that long.
2. You will have knee surgery and hip surgery before you are 50.
3. That's just plane stupid.
4. Why run? You're not going to win the damn thing. Do you get prizes?
5. Don't you get bored?
6. You run for a shirt and a medal?
7. Run, Forrest, Run.
8. You Amaze me.
9. I can't run I smoke to much or I will be hungover.
10. Lastly, WHY?

I love hearing comments from my non-running friends.  All their wonderful comments always bring a smile to my face because they will never get WHY I do it.  A non-runner will never get it or understand WHY unless they lace up their own shoes. I always challenge my friends to give it a whirl but they always stop when the training gets hard.

When the training gets hard I think of the people who can't run.  I think of my students who are wheelchair bond, use a walker or could never run that far even if they wanted too.  They give me the motivation I need to run faster, harder, longer.

The Columbus Marathon added the Marathon miracle Mile this year to the race. Each mile there will be a child there who has an amazing story.  Those beautiful children have been fighting for their lives for a very long time.  Some have success stories, while some still continue to fight hard.

I love that they added this to the course this year.  Why? It is simple.... every time I see one of their beautiful faces I will probably cry a little but I am 100% sure I will run harder.  The pain I will feel on race day is NOTHING like those little miracles children feel or have felt.  So when I want to quit or want to tell myself I CAN'T DO THIS... I will remember the child in the wheel chair, the child that is blind, the one that has down syndrome, the one with a weak heart...the list can go on.

I will run for them and I will smile at the finish knowing that their strength has carried me till the end.

I will run my last mile for a special Angel in Heaven.  I had the pleasure to work with Hannah for 5 wonderful years.  She could light up the room with her amazing smile! This is my favorite picture of her!! We just finished a very cold swim and now I am holding her to keep her warm.  She warmed my heart and still does when I think of her.  The last mile is for you Hannah Banana...I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment