Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Why me? Hyopthyroidism

My whole life I have had amazing amounts of energy! In fact, I am positive that I should have been on hyper active meds when I was a child.  I use to be able to go all day and drop dead when I turned out the lights. Not anymore :(

I knew something wasn't right with me when I couldn't finish a mile back in March. I felt like someone stole all my energy I once had to bottle it up for themselves.  Nothing helped, not even sleeping all day.  When my Doctor told me that I had hypothyroidism it wasn't a complete surprised as many members of my family have thyroid issues.  I wasn't prepared for what he told me next... You will have to start taking medication every single day for the rest of your life.

WHAT?

(For those who don’t know, the thyroid controls the metabolism, and problems can affect virtually every part of the body)

Seriously, I have been working out, eating healthy and doing everything I possibility could to stay away from medication.  It made me really upset to hear that this was my new reality; there absolutely was NOTHING I could do about it.

I started to take the medications feeling better some days, others feel like I can't even remove myself from my bed.  It sucks feeling so tired all the time and watching the scale stand still.  Friends think I am not telling truth when I say I don't feel good.  I honestly don't feel good after 5 o'clock most days.  It seriously sucks!

I will be fighting this disease for the rest of my life.  I have to take a pill every single day till the day I die. It completely angers me that no matter how hard I try this disease is NOT going anywhere. I will have to fight the weight battle since my metabolism is basically dead.  Depression is another thing I will probably have to fight too.  My hands and feet will remain cold and my body will be fatigue more often than not.

Many people tell me that I should stop my marathon training because it probably makes my thyroid issues worse.  I will never give up something I love because of this ugly disease.  I will just have to learn to battle it the best way I can. 

I have so to learn about this ugly disease.  All I know is this...I would NEVER wish this upon my enemy. I will continue to blog about my battle with hypothyroidism. I hope to learn a lot in the next few months about this disease, so I can educate all of you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment